Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The rain in Spain falls mainly in the plains... or in Barcelona.

Yesterday the whole group was split up and an API person took us on a walk to kinda show us around downtown and how to use the metro and stuff. other than the metro, it wasn't really new because of the walk Chelsey and I took the other day. After the walk we went on a bus tour and it took us around the whooooole city! Everyone had their cameras out and were taking pictures of everything because no one wanted to miss anything. I ended up with 113 pictures but I deleted a lot of them because they were the same or just... pictures of nothing. We drove along the ocean, which is SO beautiful, drove by La Sagrada Familia, through all kinds of little neighborhoods. We stopped at Camp Nou, the F.C. Barcelona stadium, and walked around there for a bit, went to the "botiga" where they sell jersey's, scarves, EVERYTHING with a barca logo on it. I didn't buy anything but I'll have to get a scarf or something before i go to a game The tour was a good way to get a very general feel of where everything is located. Brittany, Chelsey, and I have decided we definitely need to walk around some on our own though, so we can really figure it out. And so we can take some better pictures. I think my favorite part of the whole thing was when we drove up Montjüic and stopped at the top and got out of the bus... you could see the whole city from up there and it was so amazing!

Later that night, the three of us were gonna go get tapas for dinner but the place we wanted to go to was packed. Since we haven't fully adjusted to the Spanish way of life and eating, we were all pretty hungry so instead of waiting we went to this place called Obama. Food was good, the sangria was better (:

Today was THE day... Brittany and I met our host mom, Margarita. When she walked in the hotel lobby, Brittany somehow knew it was her and we did the whole kiss-kiss thing and she insisted on wanting to carry out my huge heavy duffel to the taxi! She’s 63, by the way. Brittany ended up grabbing one handle of it and they carried it out together because Brittany still hasn't gotten her luggage, which was lost somewhere along the way over here. We got to the apartment, which is really nice. Very small, but there's enough room for everything you'd need. She showed us around and then she had to go to work.

Brittany and I met up with Chelsey to go to a mall somewhere kinda close to the ocean. We wanted to check it out and go so Brittany could get a couple of things to wear until she gets her bags, but also try to figure out the metro system and all that. Everything went very well (:

When we got back we took a teeny siesta and then dinner was served at 20:30 ish. It was DELICIOUS!! We had two types of fish, mussels, clams, and potatoes cooked in some kind of garlic-y broth I think, with a salad on the side. So so so good! Margarita didn't eat with us and she says she usually doesn't eat much at night. She was in the room most of the time and we were just chatting, and after we had eaten we talked some more. She talks really really fast and I’m really excited that, for the most part, i know what she's saying! We watched some TV too, which was pretty cool because everything is, of course, in Spanish. Even American TV shows are dubbed over in Spanish. It was a really good night, very relaxing.
It's pouring rain outside, which is a bummer, but it's supposed to get nicer as it gets closer to the weekend... it better!

Tomorrow we meet up with the whole group again to tour one of the campuses and to get our schedules and all that. Can't wait to see what classes I’ll be taking! For now, I think I’m gonna go to bed. Ciao!


2 comments:

  1. i miss you and im so glad youre having fun! i can't wait to read more! -ANAAAAAAAAALisa =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Þú segir svo vel frá að þú hlýtur að verða blaðamaður, hlökkum til næsta pistils, kveðjur

    ReplyDelete