At first it was just kinda slushy and not sticking to the ground, but now it kind of is. My professor and internship lady, Laura, said that the last time it snowed in Barcelona and actually stuck to the ground was back in 1985. I’m kind of witnessing history right now, I guess. I am trying to look on the bright side…
It’s funny because, in my experience in the 2 months I’ve been here, the Spaniards don’t really like tourists. To them, tourists are a form of entertainment; they love making fun of the way you dress, overcharging you at restaurants, making fun of your limited Spanish, especially when it has an American accent, and getting you to buy stupid shit just because they can. Well now, the tables have turned. Spaniards aren’t really givers of advice; they would rather watch you suffer from tourism than help you out. I would like nothing more than to teach these people a thing or two about snow etiquette.
In my short walk from school to the metro, cause God knows I’m not walking home in this crap, I saw 7 people with their cameras taking pictures of the snow. Laura and I were waiting for the same train and I told her how funny I thought it was that people were actually taking pictures of this wet mush and she got really excited and said, with a big smile on her face, that she had actually taken pictures too so she “will be able to show my grandkids, “Look it snowed in Barcelona back in 2010!”” Also, people have no idea what to do with themselves. They stop dead in their tracks and stand there and just kinda look at the snow like “What is this wet stuff?” making it impossible for me to get where I’m going. People were hanging out in the entrance to the metro station because they just weren’t quite ready to get out.
Also, umbrellas. Margarita has given me one to use while I’m here, in case it rains or as it is now, snows. Umbrellas, when used in the right circumstances, get wet. So that means when you’re in the metro at rush hour and the train is PACKED, you need to keep your umbrella to yourself because I don’t really want my pant leg soaked from it. And when you’re walking, don’t swing it around! Keep. It. To. Yourself. You don’t need to stop dead in your tracks to open or close it, as it is very easily done, even when you’re walking. You actually could probably do it walking with your eyes closed, that’s how easy it is.
I guess it’s supposed to be like this for another 6 hours or so and I am eagerly awaiting the change. At this point, I don’t even care about the sun, just as long as it stops snowing. Today is the kind of day where I just wanna snuggle up and like watch a movie or something but I've got a paper due on wednesday and an 82 page reading in Spanish of which i have only read 35 pages for tomorrow. Movie time will not happen today ):
In other news, another girl from Brazil, Carla, has replaced Mariana. She got here yesterday and is very sweet. She’s pretty quiet as her Spanish is very limited, which is the complete opposite of Mariana who spoke the language like it was her native tongue. I have to admit, I do like being able to tell her what a word is or how to say something because I know and she doesn’t.
Búhú ... vorkenni þér ekki;)
ReplyDeleteBkv.,
Della
Haha, I am reading this while sitting in the worlds most boring class, and I must say it was really difficult for me to not burst out laughing. miiisss youuuuu!
ReplyDeleteANALisa =)