Friday, March 5, 2010

random thoughts..

First of all, I'm in utter disbelief and shock because a guy from high school killed himself yesterday. Gustavo was I think 2 grades below me and he was such a little shit. I think he was probably friends with every. single. person in school and he was always cracking jokes and playing pranks and telling me he loved me everytime he saw me. You never saw Gustavo without a ginormous smile on his face which is why it's so unbelievable. You will be incredibly missed.


It's amazing the kinds of things you notice when you take a walk around Barcelona by yourself. I did that today because I had a late night last night (6 o'clock bedtime) and i needed some fresh air. There was a protest against something, not sure what because everything was in Catalan and though the languages are similar, I still don't actually understand it.. There were police lined up all around where the protest was, just in case things got out of hand. Super serious.

I found a little tiny organic smoothie place and had a delicious smoothie with mango and coconut and something else, don't remember. The lady gave me a 'loyal customer' card, which is a good thing because I will most definitely be back. It tasted REALLY good AND it pretty much woke me up and picked me up out of my hungover daze.

I walked down a ton of little side streets and looked at the shops and the people.. I started heading back toward the metro when I walked by a band of 6 people performing in the street. They were SO good! like wow! they had everyone tapping their feet, and an older man was in the middle of the crowd dancing by himself, really feeling it. The name of the band is Microguagua and they play really fun reggae music. There were two guys playing guitars, one on a trumpet, one on trombone, one on a box (drums) and one played a big bass.. 3 of them had dreadlocks, all of them wore funny clothes, one of them (trombone guy) was really cute. I bought a cd from them cause they really were SO good. Like the kind of music I'd imagine being the soundtrack to my life, if I had a soundtrack. Can't wait to put it on my iPod and bounce around to it when the sun is shining... perfect for that.
EDIT: I googled the band and found their website where I read the biography. Turns out they are actually from the Raval area of Barcelona. I thought they were just coming through because they were playing in the street but that's actually a fairly recent thing for them. It says they started playing in the street to make some money because they were playing a lot of unpaid gigs at clubs. Also, they're all from various parts of the world, not just from Spain, and somehow all got together to make awesome music. They have a list of gigs on their website so I'll definitely be going sometime to see them again.

I was supposed to go out to dinner tonight but I think those plans kinda fell through... Just me an Margarita tonight then. Could be worse! Brittany took a weekend trip to Amsterdam and Berlin and it's kinda weird that she's not here. I've gotten so used to living with someone (though not willingly!) and having someone around all the time... like we sleep literally less than a foot away from each other so when suddenly there's no one there it's kinda odd. I do like it though.. SPACE! Margarita's gonna take me to a giant outdoor flea market tomorrow, which should be fun.

I think I'm gonna just hang out and watch a movie and paint my nails.. OR listen to microguagua cause they're AWESOME! Deu!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great day you had, would love to hear that band, they sound really cool!
    Big hugs from Freya and mamma.

    ReplyDelete