Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Update

Just a really quick random update..

-I started an internship today! Laura, my Urban Approach to Spain professor, is working with some other people on a European research project called NODUS: Linking Urban Renewal and Regional Spatial Planning. It's done in cooperation with other European regions in Italy, Poland, Netherlands, and some others and they're trying to develop tools to help urban regeneration. All their research is being compiled into a big important document. All the people working on it are native Spanish speakers and the document is written in English so it needs to be edited. And that's what my internship is. I have to read through the text and make any and all corrections I can find.
It's very interesting and though it sounds very easy, it isn't really. The language it's written in is one I'm not 100% familiar with and she gave me an information brochure on NODUS to read so I could get an idea of the language and words they use. Today they gave me the first piece of the document, which is 23 pages. I went through 10 pages and put in some corrections, then on thursday I'm gonna try to finish the remaining 13. They're having me do the corrections right on the computer which is not the way I'd prefer to go about it, so I'm gonna see if they'll let me print the whole thing so I can go over it again and actually cross things out and stuff with a colored pen. So much better that way.
The information is very interesting, though a bit hard to follow on the first read-through. I'm excited though! An internship where I get to put my English major to work and learn something new, all at the same time!

-I. am. itchy. Like a smart person, I didn't bring my trusty hydrocortisone with me to Spain. I don't wanna get too into it just because it's really just so stupid how my body hates me sometimes, but randomly I break out into the horrible itchy red spots, mostly on my neck and my arms. Hydrocortisone is my best friend when this happens and of course, I don't have it with me. I'm gonna go to a farmácia after I finish this post to see if I can get it, and if not, if they have something similar. If they don't, then I'm gonna check for some kind of allergy medicine because I think that will do the job too. It worked today, when I took a benadryl. I haven't been itchy at all but I did have to physically, with one finger at each eye, keep my eyes open during class. If that's the route I end up going, I'll just have to make sure to take it at night and not in the morning before going to class. Wow, I really am such a winner.

I surprised myself today when I took 3 different trains to get to my internship. I know the metro system. Like... I KNOW it. I know what trains go where, and which direction to take to get to whichever stop. I know what lines stop close to the stop I really want if I'm not able to get on that exact train. I love it! I love the metro system! It really is amazing; no matter where you are, no matter what time it is (with a few exceptions), you can get from here to there with the slide of your card. Amazing.

I met a girl this weekend, Amberlyn, who always dresses really well and differently. Like, her whole wardrobe isn't from H&M and Zara. She told me where I could find a treasure trove of vintage shops and I think I'm gonna venture out that way someday soon-ish. Maybe next week. I'm excited. Excited about that and everything else about this place. Except the itchiness!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy that you are so exited. Rosalega er gaman að lesa bloggið þitt.
    Knús, mamma

    ReplyDelete